Friday, September 17, 2010

LILLY'S BIRD






Lilly's little bird,
Pale and frail
As it could be,
Sang sweet
Daily
Perched inside
It’s narrow
Round cage
Though thin
Its song
Reedy it’s
Tiny tweet
Earnest it
Did repeat
And repeat
And repeat
Tweet
tweet tweet
tweet tweet
retweet, retweet, retweet…
Through rice-paper walls
All day long
it’s Tinny Tune
Whistled
Like a teapot
It’s steam
Endless and
Relentless
so frantic, it seemed
Until the day I screamed
And Lilly screamed back
As the balance tipped
And judgment snapped
The heat relentless
Our goodwill sapped
And pretty soon
It went from room
To room
Out to the hall
We screamed
We vented
Over panic bird calls
While she swore
I pounded walls
She slammed the door
To end it all
And from that day
It was heard no more
Though I miss it now
I have to wonder
Did she set it free?
Or
Put it under
The fate
I must admit
The fault
You may convict
Shame sits
As the silence now
Rests heavy
with me
Lilly never speaks
When oddly we meet
There is no look
Nor nod from
The Cold old bird
Now grown wary
She utters
Nary a peep
And as a gentleman,
I know not to tarry
Or to Ruffle
Her feathers
Never more
The canary
Next door.

No comments:

Post a Comment