Monday, June 30, 2014

NOTHING VENTURED

Ether Publishing Competition - "8 Stories in 8 Days"
Topic: ADVENTURE 
(-500 words)





“So this is your idea of an adventure, is it?”

He knew he’d have an uphill battle just getting Doreen to join him on the road trip, and in order to do so, he ‘sold it’ for all it was worth. The culture, the food, the art, the romance…!
But, now, hoses broke and fluids drained, they found themselves stranded well outside of Santa Fe and a long, long way from civilization. Doreen was doing a slow burn in the hot sedan and he had no answers to cool her.

“Why don’t you step out of the car and get some air? There’s a bit of a breeze starting up, and what an incredible view!” He’d hoped the epic scope might inspire her to take a deep enriching breath, and relieve some toxic temper.

“Redheaded, fair and freckled in the high noon sun, Vincent?!  Do you know how long I’d last before I blistered?! About ten seconds!!! And the only view I see is a long empty highway running off into eternity. Have any ideas how we achieve Rescue? Any ideas how we survive?”

“None. I either walk out of here, or someone drives by.”

“You walk out and what? You’d leave me here to bake like some low-and-slow chicken in an all day oven? And exactly how many cars have we passed in the last two hours?

“I don’t know, maybe a dozen all tolled? I mean, there IS traffic. This IS a highway, you know. Why are you shaking your head?”

“A total of Four, Vincent.”

“Towing trucks troll these roads. I’m sure one…”

“No you’re not. And those four cars?…not one was a tow truck.”

“That’s a good thing, I think…odds are, there’s bound to be one along soon.”

“Odds are fucking NIL, Vincent! …I hope there’s music out here…”

“No! Save the battery! No radio! Worse case scenario, we may need the  headlights to signal after dark. And go easy on the water! Save all resources, best you can…”

“Well this adventure is getting better all the time. I’m willing to say, right here, Vincent, that any goodwill and trust you had earned with me has shriveled up in this heat. I accept my responsibility for agreeing to this, but we’ve reached that point. This is where we separate.”

“You want to walk or wait?”

“No choice. I’ll wait, you walk. If someone stops, we’ll come for you. Which way?”

“I suppose back toward Santa Fe. We passed a town back there…”

“If you’re referring to those trailers on the hillside, that was hardly a town…”

“Well someone lives there, and that’s what we need. Somebody to help us get out of here.”


Upon his return he found it. The note read:

Vincent,
A man named Simon stopped and is taking me away. He is elegant, strong and wise. I know I said we’d come for you, but I can’t. I’ve started the real adventure of my life. Tell everyone I’m happy.
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment