Sunday, May 15, 2016

THE DISTURBANCE

 
I woke up, pulled the shades, allowing morning’s light to spill across the room…when a sparrow, out of nowhere, smashed into the window’s reflection of the sunrise, and broke it’s neck. He should have seen it, the sun shined so clear, it didn’t register.

It’s final gasp in my hand, warm…but he grew stiff…it was due, and done, in a whisper.

“Due” to timing…to reflections, and refractions…to speed, to flight, and it’s swift myriad of angles.

'Here's to split-second decisions, right or wrong.'

He just never saw it coming. Poor thing.


I was just killing time…wasting time… waiting for the coffee to perc’… still groggy, I went over to kiss your Mom. But, I stopped to pull the shade first, he forgot to look in that second, and …bonk.

A ‘Dead’ sound, recognized instinctively, as a finale, has stuck with me throughout the day. 



V

No comments:

Post a Comment